13. ADDITIONAL INFORMATION FOR CALIFORNIA RESIDENTS
Categories of Personal Information We Collect
During the past twelve months, we have collected the following “Categories” of “Personal Information,” as defined in the California Consumer Privacy Act of 2018 and related regulations (“CCPA”):
Examples: Name, postal address, online identifier, internet protocol address, email address, social security number, driver’s license number, or other similar identifiers
- Categories of Personal Information in California Civil Code Section 1798.80(e)
Examples: Name, signature, social security number, physical characteristics or description, address, telephone number, driver’s license number, insurance policy number, education, employment, employment history, or financial information
- Characteristics of Protected Classifications under California or Federal Law
Examples: Race, national origin, age (over 40), gender, marital status, or military and veteran status
Examples: Records of vehicles, products or services purchased, obtained, or considered; or other purchasing or consuming histories or tendencies
- Internet or Other Electronic Network Activity Information
Examples: Browsing history, search history, and information regarding your interaction with an internet website, application, or advertisement
Examples: Precise geolocation data from your mobile device or vehicle, collected as described in this Notice
- Audio, Electronic, Visual, or Similar Information
Examples: Photos, videos, service call recordings, or facility camera footage
- Professional or Employment-Related Information
Examples: Occupation, job title, or professional association membership information
- Inferences Drawn from Personal Information
Examples: Information about your preferences or likelihood to purchase our vehicles, products, or services
- Sensitive Personal Information
Examples: Social security number, driver’s license number, account login information, precise geolocation data, or racial or ethnic origin
We may not collect all of the examples of each Category of Personal Information listed above through RIDE COMMAND, but we may collect them in other contexts and combine them with the Personal Information we collect through RIDE COMMAND. Please see the Polaris Privacy Notice for more information about our collection of Personal Information in other contexts.
We retain each of these Categories of Personal Information for as long as necessary to fulfill the purposes outlined in this Notice unless a longer retention period is required or allowed by law. To determine the period for which your Personal Information will be retained, Polaris considers criteria such as those described in section 6, .
How We Collect Personal Information
We collect Personal Information from the following categories of sources:
- You or Your Devices. We collect Personal Information that you provide us, and we collect Personal Information directly from your devices, vehicles, products, or interactions with us, including through our websites, mobile applications, vehicles, products, services, and communications.
- Vendors. We receive Personal Information from the third parties who provide services to us.
- Dealers & Other Business Partners. We receive Personal Information from our dealers, distributors, and other business partners.
- Publicly Available Sources. We receive Personal Information from publicly available sources, including, for example, information that is submitted in a public forum, such as a blog, website, social network, or chat room; and information from government authorities and public databases.
- Consumer Data Resellers
How We Use Personal Information
We collect and use the Categories of Personal Information listed above for the following categories of business and commercial purposes:
- Providing Products & Services. We use Personal Information to provide, maintain, protect, and improve our vehicles, products, services, websites, and mobile applications, including RIDE COMMAND; and to develop new vehicles, products, services, websites, and mobile applications. This may include, for example: customizing our vehicles, products, services, websites, and mobile applications to your preferences or interests; making them more compatible with your technology; or otherwise making them easier to use; analyzing how they are used; and evaluating, maintaining, and improving their performance, effectiveness, security, and safety.
- Processing Payments & Transactions. We use Personal Information to enable or process payments and transactions you make.
- Marketing. We use Personal Information for marketing purposes, such as developing and providing promotional and advertising materials that may be of interest to you; analyzing the effectiveness of those materials; and customizing and improving them.
- Communicating & Managing Our Relationship with You: We use Personal Information to communicate and manage our relationship with you. This may include, for example, providing you information about our vehicles, products, services, websites, and mobile applications, and your transactions with us; responding to questions, inquiries, or service requests that you make; customizing and improving our communications with you and analyzing their effectiveness; communicating with you about, and administering your participation in, sweepstakes, contests, surveys, promotions, events, and similar activities.
- Warranty & Support Purposes. We use Personal Information to address warranty claims and provide vehicle and product service and support. This may include, for example, investigating, validating, responding to, and administering warranty claims; providing vehicle and other product service and maintenance information and support; and providing recall information.
- Legal Reasons. We use Personal Information to address legal issues. This may include, for example, obtaining legal advice or establishing, exercising, or defending legal claims; complying with laws, regulatory requirements, contractual obligations, court orders, other legal process or obligations, or lawful requests from public and government authorities; detecting, preventing, and responding to fraud, intellectual property infringement, security issues, violations of our agreements, violations of law, or other misuse of our vehicles, products, services, websites, or mobile applications; and protecting the safety, rights, welfare, or property of Polaris, you, or others.
- Deidentification. We de-identify and aggregate Personal Information and use it for any lawful purpose.
- Other Purposes with Notice. We may use Personal Information for other purposes for which we provide specific notice when the information is collected.
How We Disclose Personal Information
During the past twelve months, we have disclosed for a business purpose, as described in this Notice, each of the Categories of Personal Information listed above. We have disclosed Personal Information to the following categories of third parties:
- Polaris Brands & Companies. We share Personal Information among the Polaris family of brands and companies, including Polaris Inc. subsidiaries and affiliates.
- Vendors. We share Personal Information with the third parties who provide services to us.
- Dealers & Other Business Partners. We share Personal Information with our dealers, distributors, and other business partners.
- Third Parties for Legal Reasons. We share Personal Information with third parties, including government entities, for the Legal Reasons described above, including in connection with a merger, sale, or asset transfer.
- Third Parties for Business Transfers. We share Personal Information with third parties in connection with any reorganization, merger, sale, joint venture, assignment, transfer, or other disposition of all or any portion of our business, assets, or stock (including in connection with any bankruptcy or similar proceedings).
- Third Parties with Consent. We share Personal Information with third parties for whom you have given us permission to share your Personal Information. This includes third parties and members of the public who can see content that you choose to post or share through RIDE COMMAND.
We have disclosed (or may disclose to the extent necessary or appropriate) for a business purpose each of the categories of Personal Information described above to each of these categories of third parties.
Sale of Personal Information
During the past twelve months, we have not sold Personal Information as we understand the definition of a “Sale” under the CCPA. We disclose and share Personal Information as described in this Notice, including when we allow select third parties to place cookies and similar technologies on our Sites to provide us analytics and advertising services.
Sharing of Personal Information for Targeted Advertising
During the past twelve months, we have shared for targeted advertising (also known as cross-context behavioral advertising) Personal Information from the following Categories of Personal Information: Identifiers, Internet or Other Electronic Network Activity Information, Commercial Information, Characteristics of Protected Classifications under California or Federal Law (e.g. gender), Professional or Employment-Related Information (e.g. occupation), and Inferences Drawn from Personal Information. We share Personal Information for targeted advertising with vendors who provide us advertising services to deliver to our customers and prospective customers advertising that may be of greater interest to them, and to evaluate the performance of our advertising campaigns. We do not have actual knowledge that we have shared for targeted advertising the Personal Information of consumers under 16 years of age.
Use of Sensitive Personal Information
We may use or disclose Sensitive Personal Information (such as precise geolocation information about your riding activity and information regarding racial or ethnic origin) for certain purposes that you have the right to limit, such as tailoring promotional and advertising materials to be more relevant to you. For information about how to exercise your right to limit, please see the California Privacy Rights section, below.
The CCPA Regulations identify, in Section 7027(m), certain purposes for which you do not have the right to limit our use or disclosure of Sensitive Personal Information. Examples of those purpose include: (i) providing the goods and services reasonably expected by an average consumer who requests them; (ii) preventing, detecting, and investigating security incidents concerning Personal Information; (iii) resisting and prosecuting malicious, deceptive, fraudulent, or illegal actions directed at Polaris; (iv) protecting the physical safety of natural persons; (v) verifying, maintaining, improving, upgrading, or enhancing the quality or safety of our products or services; and (vi) collecting or processing Sensitive Personal Information where such collection or processing is not for the purpose of inferring characteristics about a consumer.
California Privacy Rights
California residents have the right to make certain requests about their Personal Information under the CCPA. Specifically, if you are a California resident, you may request that we:
- Provide access to and/or a copy of Personal Information we have about you;
- Provide you information about: the Categories of Personal Information we have collected about you; the categories of sources of such information; the business or commercial purpose for collecting selling or sharing Personal Information; and the categories of third parties to whom we disclose Personal Information;
- Delete Personal Information we have about you, subject to the exceptions set out in the CCPA;
- Correct inaccurate Personal Information that we maintain about you:
- Opt out of sharing of Personal Information for targeted advertising (also known as cross-context behavioral advertising); or
- Limit certain uses and disclosures of Sensitive Personal Information, as described in the Use of Sensitive Personal Information section, above.
You may exercise these rights by submitting a request to us using this request form. You may also submit a request to exercise these rights by contacting us at 1-800-POLARIS and selecting option 3 and then option 9 (Monday to Friday, 8 am – 6 pm Central Time).
Please Note: To opt out of sharing of Personal Information for targeted advertising that takes place via cookies and similar technologies on one of our Sites, please visit the “Your Privacy Choices” or “Cookie Preferences” link on that Site. If you visit the Site from multiple browsers, you will need to access the link from each browser to opt out for that browser. To opt out of sharing of Personal Information for targeted advertising that does not take place via cookies and similar technologies, please submit a request using An authorized agent may initiate a request on your behalf through one of the above methods, but we will require written proof that the authorized agent has been authorized to act on your behalf or a copy of the power-of-attorney document granting that right. To the extent legally permitted, we may also require that you directly verify the identity and authority of the authorized agent.
Please note that most of these rights are not absolute, and our response may be limited as permitted by the CCPA. For example:
Requests to exercise these rights are subject to our ability to reasonably verify your identity and request in light of the Personal Information relevant to the request and the requirements in the CCPA. Please note that we may ask for additional information to verify your request, including verification of your email address, before responding to your request. Please see our request form for more information about our verification process.
- The right to have Personal Information deleted is subject to a number of exceptions set out in the CCPA, such as when we need to maintain the information to provide vehicles, products, or services you requested, or to comply with our legal obligations.
California residents also have the right, as set out in the CCPA, to not be discriminated against for exercising their rights under the CCPA.
California Shine the Light Law
Under California’s “Shine the Light Law,” California residents who provide Personal Information in obtaining vehicles, products, or services for personal, family, or household use, may request information once per calendar year about our disclosures of certain categories of Personal Information to third parties for their direct marketing purposes. To request this information from Polaris, please send an email message to email@example.com with “Request for California Privacy Information” in the subject line of your message. Please be aware that not all information is covered by the “Shine the Light” requirements, and only information on covered sharing will be included in our response